Those big into Buzznet have probably heard of him. Or perhaps you've listened to his online punk rock radio show when one of your favorite bands have been on there. DJ Rossstar's Punk Rock Show spawned in September of 2002, where some of his first interviews included New Found Glory, Piebald, and Less Than Jake. Tonight, I got the fine opportunity to hold an interview with the man himself via AIM. (Note: court vs squid is me. DJ Rossstar's sn has been changed.)
court vs squid: so did you have any DJing experience before doing your own show?
DJ Rossstar: Prior to my show I had no prior DJing experience -- however, I have always been a big fan of music and I love talking and wanted to put my personality to good use.
court vs squid: did you have to teach yourself a lot about it, or was there any schooling involved?
DJ Rossstar: Not at all. I started asking bands who I've been a fan of for years if I could interview them and just asked the questions I always wanted to know about them. The equipment was pretty simple to figure out as well.
court vs squid: how easy was it for you to start getting a hold of bands you wanted to talk to? did you do a lot of online work, or just walk up to them at shows and stuff?
DJ Rossstar: I started with bands who had known me as a fan for years -- particularly new found glory. Once I had that interview I was able to contact other bands and their management and it made me look more professional. so they gave me more interviews
court vs squid: new found glory was your first interview then?
DJ Rossstar: One of them. NFG, Piebald, From First To Last, MXPX, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake
court vs squid: i think i remember listening to your fftl show, unless you've talked to them twice.
DJ Rossstar: They have been on quite a few times actually. Hilarious guys to talk to.
I suppose one of the things that really stood out to me when I watched the interviews that DJ Rossstar did for his radio show, was that while he was getting personal with them, they were able to get personal with him as well: in his own bedroom. While other interviews done for Buzznet with other types of celebrities are done in other locations.
court vs squid: what are some of the major differences you've found when it comes down to interviewing bands, and actresses and more poppy muscians like mandy [moore]?
DJ Rossstar: Whenever a band comes to my show (which is in my real apartment bedroom) I feel very comfortable talking to them and never get star struck. I know we share the same love for music and we get to know each other pretty well since we have some downtime before the show. When I go to interview celebrities it's a bit more scheduled and rushed but just as exciting.
court vs squid: haha, i was about to get into the apartment thing. do you do a lot of cleaning, or do you just welcome some of them in with a mess?
DJ Rossstar: I try to keep before each show. I put clothes in the hamper. Put dishes in the sink. Wipe the bathroom counter. I don't wait a bad rep as the smelly apt host.
court vs squid: that's true. and it always looks like you have quite a crew over there.
DJ Rossstar: Yes. I have a solid group of friends in LA that stem from high school, college and ones I've met out here.
court vs squid: if you could get anyone into your apartment for an interview, who would it be?
DJ Rossstar: im still waiting for green day. my favorite band for the past 14 years.
And he does sound like quite the Green Day fan..
court vs squid: i saw the picture of you on stage with them on your myspace. that must've been amazing if you've been a fan for so long.
DJ Rossstar: Yes. It was an unreal experience, Not sure if anything will EVER top it.
court vs squid: maybe getting them on your show? or would playing still be tops.
DJ Rossstar: My show would beat that but only if they play acoustic too.
One thing that always puzzled me about the Buzznet world, was all of the featured types. Audrey Kitching, World's Most Hated Crew, Jeffree Star, and whoever else. What I didn't know, was that DJ Rossstar was actually an employee of Buzznet, incharge of contacting existing talent, and finding the new for content for the site.
court vs squid: kind of a personal question, but has the internet based career been working out for you well?
DJ Rossstar: Yes. Mostly because it has led to other opportunities. Aside from the radio show I now host a music TV show every Monday night on DirecTV channel 101 and I do all the interviews for Buzznet.com as well as the music content.
court vs squid: i've always been kind of curious as to how people become some of the bigger people on Buzznet. like you, wmhc, audrey kitching, etc. do they seek you guys out?
DJ Rossstar: Well I am actually an employee at Buzznet so it's a bit different. My job is to contact the bands I am friends with and reach out to new ones to gather content for the site. Audrey and the others on there have their own pages and when we see a page gathering a lot of hype we check it out and sometimes feature them.
court vs squid: ohh, okay. i wasn't sure if you were an employee there or one of the featured types.
DJ Rossstar: I orignally reached out to them for a feature and instead they brought me on full time and I love it. I get to interview people like Mandy Moore and Kendra Wilkinson who wouldn't fit my radio show format.
Then, I got the opportunity to venture away from the less serious questions.
court vs squid: band you've been listening to nonstop lately?
DJ Rossstar: Green Day, Sum 41, Boys Like Girls
court vs squid: what you're doing when you're not doing the show or things for the show/buzznet, etc?
DJ Rossstar: Going to concerts and listening to music in the car! I live music.
DJ Rossstar: Other times I go to the movies, bowling, mini golf, dinner, shopping, traveling
court vs squid: best movie you've seen recently, and do you sing in the car?
DJ Rossstar: I ALWAYS sing in the car plus my friend Coby plays drums in Say Anything and he gave me a stick that I beat against my steering wheel while I sing. Best movie recently is The Mist.
court vs squid: any guilty pleasures?
DJ Rossstar: Aqua - Aquarium CD
DJ Rossstar: Degrassi: The Next Generation
court vs squid: your best joke?
DJ Rossstar: what is bethoveens favorite fruit?
DJ Rossstar: ba-na-na-naaaaas (say it outloud like his composed piece)
court vs squid: i think i have one more question, and we're done.
DJ Rossstar: kay!
court vs squid: where do you get all the hats from?
DJ Rossstar: the hat shop on melrose! or anywhere else i see a cool one!
And everyone should tune into his show on Idobi Radio tomorrow night at 7 PST for :
court vs squid: wait, i lied.who's next on the show?
DJ Rossstar: and The Ataris are on tomorrow AND Fair To Midland
If you miss the radio show, many of them are posted up on his Buzznet page, along with photos, and other videos.
With all this said, I don't think I could have asked for a better first 'conversational' interview. Not to mention, interviewing the usual interviewee was a tad intimidating, but definitely chill. I'd like to give a big thanks to DJ Rossstar for taking his time out for the interview.
No comments:
Post a Comment