Thursday, January 3, 2008

Love Before Glory Clothing : Jaxin Hall interview

It was recommended to me a few months ago to check out a clothing company called Love Before Glory, a clothing line based in New Zealand that was created by Jaxin Hall. The designs are fun, and even though the company is based in NZ, it seems pretty simple (and affordable) for people in the US to order these shirts.

Check out what owner Jaxin Hall has to say about his sweet designs.

who is the owner of Love Before Glory Clothing, and how did it come about?
that'd be me! Jaxin Hall
I have always loved drawing and art
since I was little I've just loved sitting down with a brand new pencil and a pile of blank paper and just sketching away until I something turned into a picture

and the main reson LBG is around is because in NZ there are no solely music oriented clothing labels
you know in the states there's labels like Atticus, Kill Brand and ToDieFor. But in NZ there's nothing like that
Kids would go to a skate shop and spend $60-$70 on a volcom shirt with just "VOLCOM" written across the chest all small because thats all there was

I set out to start a clothing label that was not only making clothes that kids would like wearing but also one that was affordable for everyone




where do the ideas for your designs come from?
sometimes I just sit at the computer screen for hours in a blank stare and then all of a sudden I'll just be all "Oh yeah! that'll be sweet" haha

but most of the shirts have a story behind them
some more interesting than others

for example: The "Win Big" shirt


comes from my band (CapGunHero) was playing a show at a venue north of where I live here in Auckland and there were some slot machines in a corner
so while we were waiting to play Jordan (our drummer) put in a $2 coin (we have weird money) and won like $80 haha it was hilarious so the next day I drew that shirt haha

where as the "Stub Em Out" shirt


comes from one night I was watching King Of The Hill staring blankly at a sheet of paper and Hank made Bobby smoke a whole carton of cigarettes haha
so I started drawing cigarettes and that shirt design just kinda happened haha



how can kids order your clothing, and what are the general prices?
right now the easiest way is just through the myspace.
just write me a message with what you'd like and I'll help you take it from there.

the prices vary a little because I throw in a limited edition shirt every now and again
but the general rule is that shirts are NZ$35 (US$25) and hoodies are NZ$60 (US$45)




what kind of bands are sponsored by you, and how can any other bands become sponsored?
There's not really a certain kind of band I sponsor
it's more like if I think they're about the kind of things I view as important in someone, not only for representing my label but also just in general
also I sponsor bands that are passionate about what they do and that I think are good at what they do

usually I'll approach a band if I see them play and think they're great, like Arms Reach for example. we played a show with those guys and I was blown away with their live show so I asked them if they'd be keen to be on LBG

or if they approach me then I have a listen to their songs and try to get along to a show if I can or if now then if their recordings and bio ring out as flags of not only a good band but nice people then they're all good



where, besides online, can kids buy your clothing?
in NZ I'm in the works with a couple of stores to get it out there, but I kinda refer to be selling it myself on myspace
haha I know that sounds weird but I like interacting with people
and helping them with their purchases
the whole reason I keep going is because of the loyalty and support I see from some of the people that buy my stuff

and I think it's also the reason a lot of people keep coming back, because its like a family and its not just buying a shirt but supporting, essentially, a friend



how did the name Love Before Glory come about?
haha well...as I'm sure you know, sometimes fame or even just the chance at it can make people act differently. little dollar signs flash in their eyes and they become focussed solely on gratifying themselves and striving towards the riches no matter who they step on along the way

well I had such an experience with some guys who I was very close with
I watched their journey and saw the changes and then when an opportunity came along they decided that anyone else who tried for the "opportunity" as well were then the enemy

no matter how stoked "the enemy" would have been for them if they'd gotten it, they were only interested in their own shot at glory and did everything they could to try turn it into a bit of a one horse race

so long story (kinda) short, Love Before Glory means to put friends and 'the love of it' before selfish attitudes and basically being a dick haha

Be sure to check out the "Win Big" and "Stub Em Out" shirts, along with other awesome designs at Love Before Glory's myspace page.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seeeet as.
Jaxin ftw!