Friday, June 6, 2008

Jessica Louise

Jessica Louise

Jessica Louise is a clothing designer whose designs have been seen on models HannaBeth Merjos, Audrey Kitching, and more. She has also been featured in Alternative Press and a few other magazines, where it has been made evident that her design style is unique. Mixing cute and girly, with punky and edgy.

When did you get your start in designing?
I started designing casually about 7 years ago and full time four years
ago.

Did you teach yourself?
Yes i am self taught. If there was a new machine i wanted to learn to
sew on i would find one for a good bargain and just buy it so i could
learn how to use it.

Some of your designs are somewhat reminiscent of a 1940's pinup girl. Do you
pull a lot of inspiration from the designs of that era?

Not necessarily. I do love the classy look of the 1940's style. And love
all the small details that went in to those garments. But i prefer
clothing that is a bit more functional and wearable in everyday life.

Where else do you get your inspiration?
I have the most amazing group of talented friends. It is just so
inspiring to be around other creative people it really makes me want to
make better more interesting things.

Do you pick your own models (Audrey Kitching/HannaBeth)? What makes you want
them to represent your clothing?

Yes i do have final say in all models. Audrey and i have been friends
for a while now she was actually introduced to me by a mutual friend
MichelleXStar (who is also our main photographer) a few years ago and i
just love her. She is such a hard working girl and really sweet and down
to earth.
Hanna Beth i met through Audrey & she has been nothing but sweet to me
as well.
It really important to me that anyone i use to model is easy to work
with. I have had allot of offers and some of them extremely pompas I'm
not into that. Just because you are a model does not mean you are better
than anyone else.
I want people to represent my line that are doing something self
promoters, people who are artistic, and hopefully some sort of a role
model.

What was it like being featured in Alternative Press magazine awhile ago? And others more recently?
My big feature was actually a few years ago now but i have been featured
in AP many times and every time i get picked for editorial I'm excited.
I love that magazine.
I became friends with Leslie Simon (formally of AP Fashion Editor &
amazing freelance writer) and love dealing with everyone at AP really a
great staff.

It says on your myspace that there have been some in the music world who
have asked you to custom create designs for them. Care to name drop?

I have made A LOT of custom stuff for Avril Lavigne over the years. Shes
the main one.
I don't really care so much about being celebrities. Id much rather be
worn by the real girl. But i guess people care about that stuff.

What was the first garment that you created?
Barbie clothes and outfits for my cat ( i was 8)

When was it that you decided that you wanted to be a clothing designer when
you got older? Did you have any schooling for it?

I just sort of fell into it. My godmother was a designer and had her own
small business all growing up and then i worked for Betsey Johnson for a
number of years i would say the combination of both really inspired me
to move forward with what started as a side project to what has become
my career.
I have had no formal training i was a studio arts major in school.
I taught myself how to sew and everything else fashion related. I'm
still learning everyday.

Have you had to raise any prices due to the high costs of everything?
No. My price points are high enough. I still cut and sew a lot of things
myself so that is where the price is in my garments. My personal time
and care i take to make each garment.
I am actually about to launch a Jr's line in a major retailer August to
bring my line to a lot of girls who are unable to get it otherwise.
Now any state in the USA my line will be available to my younger fans.

What kind of girl do you think would be one to wear a Jessica Louise design?
Any girl who appreciates color. The girl who likes to have fun with her
wardrobe and likes to have a fun feminine look with a little bit of a
punky edge.
My line gets compared to Japanese street fashion allot and i think that
trend is finally catching on here in the USA.
So also girls who like quirky Japanese style fashion.
I really try to make something for everyone.

Any future for a mens line?
YES. I have to get through my Jr's line and my own specialty line though
first. I get allot of requests for men's though.

Is there any music you blast while designing/creating? Who is it or what
genre is it usually?

I have a very eclectic taste in music so almost anything. I grew up
listening to post punk, punk, rock and rocksteady so that and whatever i
feel like listening to I'm not stuck in one genre of music .
I love all types of music.

Is there any certain individual who you would love to see in one of your
designs?

Every young lady in the world.

You have a lot of tattoos. Which one is your favorite/means the most?
My safety pin on my wrist i got for my husband Sean and my back i got to
get through a really hard time in my life so it means allot to me. They
all mean something i am not one of those people who just goes and gets
tattooed to be a tattooed person.
I have a crap memory for time periods and so my history from when i was
16 years old up until now is mapped out on my body.

Any tips for an aspiring designer?
Be prepared to work hard and for many years before you even begin to get
any where. Unless you have some huge bank account being a creative
person is a struggle and some times you have to live hand to mouth.
Its the same advice i would give to anyone who's trying to break into a
creative field do it because its you passion not because you think its
going to be a huge paycheck.

Check out her collections and buy her clothing at JESSICALOUISE.COM

-Courtney "raspy voice" Kaz.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome article. I can't believe I'm the only commenter...

EXPOSURE said...

you should get your friends into us and tell them to comment, too! ;)