Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tom Falcone photography.

Tom Falcone

Every now and then I post bulletins on myspace asking if bands, writers, photographers, designers, etc want some free promotion by being featured on the blog. I'm not going to lie, when I saw 'Tom Falcone' in the namefield of the guy who messaged me about it, I had a minor moment where I was like, "oh man, Tom Falcone wants to be featured on my blog." Totally thinking of Tom Falcone of Cute Is What We Aim For Fame.

Instead, I got to talk to someone who got me just as excited as CIWWAF Tom would. Tom Falcone is a photographer in Yorktown Heights, New York who has photographed bands both live and commercially (The Audition, All Time Low, etc). And most recently, a photo of his was seen in the April 2008 issue of Alternative Press magazine. What got me really excited about this was finding out that the kid is only SIXTEEN years old. He was also one of my favorite interviews to do, mainly because he actually talked, and a lot of what I'm about to post has been cut down because we got sidetracked into other conversations quite a bit. But the kid is amazing and surely has a lot of talent that should be looked forward to in the future.

court vs squid is myself, and his screenname has been changed to his real name, but if you want to get a hold of him, his screen name and e-mail address is posted up on his myspace (link at the bottom).

court vs squid: Do you have to travel a lot to get your pictures, or do you mainly just catch bands as they travel through locally?
Tom Falcone: Usually, I get asked to do commerical photos for the band during their tour. We'd meet at the venue, then figure out from there. Or talk before-hand and get a plan and start shooting! Although, some days...bands have their off-days. Therefore we'd meet somewhere locally..but that's really rare.

court vs squid: How does one getting into shooting commercially? Do the bands get at you to do the photos or do you have to be somehow affiliated with the company?
Tom Falcone: I've only had to contact a band for me to do their photos once.. I was really eager to do them, haha. But I always get either messages(via-MySpace) or E-mails from Labels, or publicists for bands to get commerical photos done. I think it just comes from them seeing my work around or recommendations

court vs squid: Any favorites that you've loved shooting?
Tom Falcone: Hmm that's tough! But, my favorite band to do a commerical shoot was The Audition. I loved them. We did a shoot in Poughkeepsie, New York for Glamour Kills and I think we connected so well which made the photos great! As for live.. I would do anything to see The Starting Line again. I shot them at last years Warped Tour, and the guards couldn't kick me out of the pit!

court vs squid: So how and when did you get into photography?
Tom Falcone: Funny story.. I went to my first concert in 6th grade at the Hamilton Street Cafe in New Jersey (RIP). I brought my moms Canon easyshare and got one really sick photo and sent it to Lou Panico (ex- Blue Star Drive, The Showcase)[Socratic, bassist now]. And he loved it. I felt so cool, because he thought I was a professional! Haha. The next summer I worked at an Autorepair shop helping out and bought my first SLR in 7th grade. It's been four years and I've gone through 3 different cameras, and at least 5 lens!

court vs squid: Do you have a day job or is photography your main thing?
Tom Falcone: I do have a day job! I work for the County of Westchester Parks and Rec. It's something someone would never expect. But hopefully photography will be my main squeeze in a few years.

And just to show I'm not lying (this kid seems older than sixteen, doesn't he?)

court vs squid: For the record and the small write up before the interview, how old are you?
Tom Falcone: How old do you think I am?
court vs squid: I have no idea haha.
Tom Falcone: Only 16! Haha. When people say like 18 (because I look/act old) I say yeah.

court vs squid: So is your name ever confused with that of Tom Falcone from Cute Is What We Aim For?
Tom Falcone: Is that even a question!! I also have a facebook. And I get about 5 or 6 adds a day from people who live in Ireland and like Ohio and they think I'm also from CIWWAF. Haha. This one time I got a message on myspace from a girl who was at a Cute concert.. the same show I did a review for. And she messaged me saying how she loves 'me' and how she baked 'me' cookies and bought me a new hat but couldn't find me and she still has the cookies and hat!

court vs squid: What's it been like seeing your work in publications like Alternative Press at a pretty young age?
Tom Falcone: The first time was the April issue of 2008, I was so excited to see my photo in there. Quite speechless at the time actually. I bought a subscription and haven't missed an issue since April! I'm on a roll!!

court vs squid: How are your parents with this stuff?
Tom Falcone: Sometimes my mom is pretty irate with the prices of equipment [I've been buying 2K worth of lighting the last few months]. She supports me a lot though. And my dad.. because he is into rock and roll. He loves having a few beers with a few bands I've shot. He's such a goof

court vs squid: Have you taken any photography classes, or are you mainly just learning the tricks of the trade as you go along with it?
Tom Falcone: Sophomore year of HS I took a film class for half a year. I ended up almost failing and thrown out of the class! I didn't learn anything from the class, honestly.
court vs squid: That's nuts that you would come close to failing and then do the kinds of things you do.
Tom Falcone: Well..everyone in the class always talks about me. "Tom Falcone this..Tom Falcone that" and my teacher was so against the work I created. She didn't like one thing I printed. She ended up threatening me...then giving me an A+!

court vs squid: Who are some photographers you look up to?
Tom Falcone: Evan Hunt, Dave Hill, Phil M, Adam Elmakias.. there are so many!

court vs squid: Alright, so I'm reading this book about this guy who pretends to be affiliated with famous people, because he says that if someone catches wind you are in the know with some famous person, they'll hang out with you. Do you ever have random kids talking to you because of bands you have shot?
Tom Falcone: I get a lot of internet people asking me a lot of questions, and emails. I don't mind it, because I was like that. Some photographers I used to email..never even replied. I don't want to be like that you know? As for my school, I am not that well known for my photography. I do not go bragging saying I hung out with All Time Low and Mayday Parade all the time. But once and a while people ask me. It's cool though to see how people notice my work.

court vs squid Alright, so is there anything else you think should be included in the interview?
Tom Falcone: Thanks to you, Courtney, and everyone who read this. If you have any questions check out my Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjfphotograhy) and myspace (http://www.myspace.com/tomfalconephoto) Thanks!

-Courtney "sh-sh-shaking" Kaz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to drop by and say that I'm still digging your blog. Keep it up.