Sunday, July 27, 2008

Isaiah Garnica : interview.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
photo by: matthew brown


Though his is not exactly a household name yet, Isaiah Garnica is one who will work hard to make it one. The twenty-one year old Santa Barbara native moved to Los Angeles when he was eighteen and fresh out of high school, ready to take on the world with his many talents. All the while gaining many fans (and even some haters) along the way.

He's been seen as a face for Prada, Armani Exchange, and 410 BC. He's getting his start into acting (his first in-theaters film Holding Trevor was released not long ago and can be seen in the Paris Hilton video for Nothing In This World). He's dipping his toes into photography, and now has a song that he recorded with songstress Skyler Stonestreet. And on top of all this, he's an accomplished potter who really loves puppies.

Court Kaz: How did you get your start into modeling and when?
Isaiah Garnica: I moved to los angeles two days after graduating high school in santa barbara, ca. i just knew i wanted to act. ever since i first saw E.T.

CK: Would you view modeling as an art form? How?
IG: I definitely would...some people might not think so. Acting and modeling are two totally different things, both artful. In film you have an entire character and plot and a whole film or play or tv show to develop that character... With modeling, it's all about getting that into one frame. I think if you can do it, it is art.

CK: Your talents rest in music, modeling, photography, and acting. Is there anything that you favor over the others?
IG: I would say acting. I am generally a self torturing, playful, sarcastic person. If I can play dress up and be in a movie every day of my life, and I had a roof over my head and just enough food, I would do it. Not even for a big paycheck.

CK: What would you say is the most difficult of those things?
IG: Acting is probably the hardest. You put yourself up to more scrutiny, and you become very vulnerable. And that's one thing I don't always like...being vulnerable.

CK: What other hobbies do you have?
IG: I'm actually an accomplished potter. I have several pieces archived at the Museum of Art in Santa Barbara as well as the Natural History Museum there. Haha, it's funny. Clay is like my other half.

CK: Besides BOXeight, where have been some fun places for you to do photoshoots at?
IG: I like shooting outside, even though the weather has been wacko lately...it's nice when you can find a pretty place to shoot in this damn city.

CK: Do you believe in the theory that "each time your picture is taken, a piece of your soul goes with it?"
IG: No...I think that's bogus. Your soul can only leave you if you give it away, and I don't do that, haha.

CK: Do you like to do photoshoots with music on and does it help you?
IG: Yes...for some reason I always want to play Paramore. Dirk always laughs because I make him pull out his iPod. He is really the only photographer that has it on their playlist.

CK: What kind of music have you been listening to a lot lately?
IG: I am in love with Katy Perry. I grew up with her in Santa Barbara. I also listen to a lot of Skyler Stonestreet, one of my best friends in the world. I can listen to her for hours. Also, Sia....and anything that is funk or gospel.

CK: The movie 'Holding Trevor' premiered not long ago. Describe your role in it.
IG: I played a creepy gay guy at a barbeque... it wasn't a huge role at all but it was my first film in theaters. It was a weird feeling to know people were watching me in larger than life format for a couple minutes.

CK: Do you have any plans to be in anymore movies coming up?
IG: I begin production on PORTLAND the film in the beginning of '09 with Jonathan Couette and Erin Daniels from the L Word. That should be exciting.

CK: You've talked a little bit about getting a tattoo. What are your thoughts on body modifications, and does being a model make getting them a little more complicated?
IG: Yeah... my dad was a tattoo artist and painter, he was covered in them...which is why I probably have a mild obsession with them. I have to stay away from them, they hurt my chances when I go to auditions and meetings. It puts you into a type slot...it sucks...I want a jellyfish tattoo so bad.

CK: You've recently had a problem with a hate crime against you. Have you had any problem like this in the past, and how do you feel about those who use words like 'faggot' loosely?
IG: Use of the word 'Faggot' is really gay, man.

CK: Tell us about the Paris Hilton music video.
IG: She's really nice. I shot the video for two days in Long Beach. I actually had a big part in the video but when I saw the first cut of it a month later, I was in it for a second. There's a picture on her myspace of us. I'm still bitter about it.

CK: Is there anything else that you wish you could be doing?
IG: I wish I painted more. It's my first love.

CK: You said on Stickam not long ago that you think it's funny when people think something is really cool in Los Angeles even though it's really not. Where are some legit cool places to go and things to do in Los Angeles?
IG: BOXeight. It's a fun, creative, and a positive environment with a vodka sponsor! hahaha

CK: Why don't you get your own puppy, Puppy?
IG: I want one. I have a ridiculous schedule and I just love puppies too much to neglect them. So until I get my own house with a yard, I can only dream.

CK: Would you let Sara (from theoddnotes) be the birth mother to your children?
IG: Yes, I need some asap.

CK: Anything else you want people to know?
IG: Jesus loves you

Catch Isaiah in action at stickam.com/isaiahgarnica, his myspace, or at his website isaiahgarnica.com.

-Courtney Kaz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY



-HAHA bob-