Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween movies!!

Halloween has probably always been one of my favorite holidays. The atmosphere that hangs in the air. The day to be anyone but yourself. There's also a good excuse to scare the hell out of children, eat candy all day, and enjoy a night of wreaking havoc.

But one thing that always really sets the tone for me is settling down at night to watch horror movies. Even on the days leading up to it, and in the afternoon of. TV channels are always playing the best horror movies, from classic to recent. When I was 12, I had to stay home sick from trick or treating. At first I was bummed, but that night also resulted in the premiere of the Boy Meets World Halloween episode, as well as the first time I ever watched a Dracula movie.

So here are my Top 5 Halloween movies, along with Nick Hartman's Top 5, because I think his is probably more interesting in mine and he knows his stuff.

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas: Cliche, I know. I've been a fan of this movie for so long though, that it's kind of become a fixture to my life. I'm generally just a huge fan of Tim Burton's movies, because even in a movie that discusses something that is generally a 'happy' thing (like Christmas), there's still something so creepy about it. From Zero the ghost dog, to Sally the rag doll, and if there's someone who isn't creeped out by Dr. Finkelstein, then there might be issues. There's creatures running around all over the place - witches, ghouls, creepy looking clowns. And they live in Halloweentown, which idolizes the holiday all year long.





2. Beetlejuice... Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice. Yeah, another Tim Burton film, but like I said up there, I love the guy, and this is another movie that I started watching at a young age. Also, one of my favorite actresses, Winona Ryder is in it as the demented Lydia. I also find it kind of hilarious watching it now, because Alec Baldwin is pretty much unrecognizable. It's creepy, and there's some weird sorts of animation going on to add to the film. For those of you who haven't seen it, a rich family moves into a haunted home. The ghosts who lived there before, try to scare them out, and the family uses it as a source to make money. Lydia makes friends with the ghosts, etc, etc. It's just awesome.





3. The Birds. Classic Alfred Hitchcock film, and probably just about everyone has seen it. It's always on TV around this time, and the first time I watched it was in my 9th grade english class (we read the story and were studying suspense and horror.) Watching a movie this old with all the technology we have now can be slightly funny, but I think it just adds to the film. Cheesy 'effects' or not, just the thought of birds essentially becoming evil and attacking everyone is just freaky. I've had nightmares from this movie. Definitely love it, and it will probably always be up there on my favorite's list.







4. The Amityville Horror. I'm not even going to lie and say I've seen the original because I haven't yet. But I have seen the new one, and when I first saw it, it was the first movie in a long time to actually scare me. Increased heart rate, and widened eyes were included. I also think the story behind it is amazing (it's based on a true story), and I hold a weird fascination with it. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I see the original.




5. Child's Play. When I was in elementary movie, watching this movie was pretty much the determining factor to figure out if you were a baby or not. Most kids were scared shitless, and I eventually moved my dolls out of my room. But now because of this odd right to passage, this movie kind of holds a nostalgic place in my heart. Watching it now, I think it's hilarious watching Chucky move around, and his incredibly manly voice. But back then, it was the scariest thing I had ever seen and I still love it in a really weird way.







Now for Nick's top five. Which I have to say are way better and more classic than mine. He says that these are not in any particular order.

1. Night of the Living Dead (original) The reason I love Night of the Living Dead so much is because of its originality. That movie has one of thee best endings in any horror film. It was also the first zombie film where the dead desired flesh and brains.. its a masterpiece.












2. House on Haunted Hill (original) I love House on Haunted Hill so much because it's my favorite Vincent Price film. Anyone who is a huge horror fan knows Vincent Price is the true master of horror. That film is just so dark and eerie and I get goose bumps everytime I watch it.










3. Return of the Living Dead. Return of the Living dead is overall my favorite zombie movie. it has a strong punk rock attitude and its just so ridiculous that its amazing. One of the best things about this film is the soundtrack, it makes the film so much more fun. Its a true cult classic.










The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) To me, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a film that everyone thinks of when they hear the words "horror movie." I just love everything about that movie, I really enjoy the 70's horror genre and that movie defines 70's horror.











5. Nosferatu. Nosferatu is such a groundbreaking film for vampire lovers. That movie is so creepy! I think the reason that movie really stands out to me is because 1) Max Shreck (nosferatu) is actually believed to be a real vampire. When they werent filming on set they caught him drinking blood from rats. Its just insane to me! 2) Its the first vampire film ever made.









There's our picks. Have a good time tonight, and just to sound like a mom, I'm going to say 'Stay safe!!'

Happy Halloween!! Aww, it's our second Halloween together!

-Courtney Kaz

No comments: