Another year has come and gone. To be honest, 2008 was a really great year for a lot of things. I'm going to break down my favorite things of this year. Here we go!
Biggest accomplishment. Barack Obama being elected as the President of the United States, hands down. I don't think I have ever been so inspired by a politician. Nor have I ever been so proud of our country. I think that this was a huge step in the right direction for us, and of course, 2009 will only get better with this man at the head of our country.
Best new band. Empires. This band has something for everyone: hard rock hits, acoustic ballads, poppy hooks, and sexy and somewhat deranged lyrics. They released their album for free on the internet, which is a plus, and after reading and hearing a few interviews with them, it seems like they've got a good head on their musical shoulders. I expect to see a lot more of them in 2009.
Catchiest artist. Katy Perry. Say what you want about her, but anyone will have to admit to singing 'Ur So Gay' or 'I Kissed A Girl' at least once. At least.
Best movie. The Dark Knight. Cliche answer, I know. It is unfortunate to me that Heath Ledger's best performance had to be one of his last. I'm not a fan of the comic-book-turned-movie films, but this one I got into so easily. And to be honest, I think it's mainly because of Heath.
Best album. This one was a really tough one for me to pick just one. So I'm going to list a few. First would have to be Jack's Mannequin - The Glass Passenger. Andrew McMahon can really do no wrong in my eyes. This album still has the summery and poppy tunes that I love him for, but there is also the sadder songs that could make you cry. Next is Empires - Howl. Other great albums include Margot and the Nuclear So & So's - Not Animal, The Academy Is... - Fast Times at Barrington High, Mason Proper - Olly Oxen Free, Katy Perry - One of the Boys, MGMT - Oracular Spectacular, She & Him - Volume One, Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend.
Favorite TV Show. Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill. Still. Nothing hooks me in more than an over dramatic teen series.
Concert experience of the Year. The Forms, Cloud Cult, and Mason Proper at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Sure, Warped Tour was pretty great and I got to see a few awesome bands, but nothing compares to a good Mason Proper show in a smokey bar. It was my third time seeing them, and my first time seeing The Forms and Cloud Cult. The Forms are a really laid back band that I really can't find any good words to describe them with (it's 1:30 in the morning, cut me some slack). Seeing Cloud Cult as well was an experience of it's own. For starters, they have beautiful music, and to go along with touching the ears, they touch the eyes as well with painters on stage. Amazing.
Most overrated phenomenon. Twilight. I can't name a single person right now that I know who has never heard of Twilight. I still can't even take a solid stance on this subject. Yes, I did enjoy the movies, but I can't get into the books. At all. All in favor of Harry Potter Mania again, say I. I!!
Well that is a few of my favorite things of the year. I think I need to start keeping an accurate log of stuff throughout 2009 so my post next year is even better and less cliche than this.
I hope all of you have had an amazing here, and here's to making 2009 even better. Party responsibly, and check back later on in the day for our giant compilation of some really awesome people's Top 5's of 2008 lists.
-Courtney Kaz
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Au Revoir, 2008.
Labels:
barack obama,
cloud cult,
empires,
gossip girl,
harry potter,
katy perry,
mason proper,
one tree hill,
twilight
No comments:
Post a Comment