Monday, February 2, 2009

Brian Benham interview.

In the summer, I'm always looking for chill music. And through my searches for chill music, I somehow came across Brian Benham, and since then, he has become one of those artists that make me glad I scrounge around myspace for random musicians to listen to.

Each of his songs are laid back, with soft and almost vulnerable sounding vocals. After delving into it a little bit more, I discovered that not only does he sound good, but the lyrics are just as good as well. He's also in touch of his fans, which automatically scores a musician points in my book.

Brian kindly did an interview with me, and I have to say that he got these answers back to me faster than anyone ever has before. After you read the interview and get a good idea on how much he loves what he does, please click on the myspace link at the bottom of this and give him all of your support. He really, truly deserves it.

You recently wrapped up a tour with Skyler Stonestreet, how was that? When do you plan to go on another big tour like that?
Touring the country is a dream many musicians share, the fact that Skyler and I lived out that dream was really a blessing. I never would have guessed that a few years ago while writing my first songs that a few years later they would carry me across our country on such a wonderful adventure. I'm proud of the fact that we pulled off our first national tour independently. Skyler and I have the same sense of humor, so while the tour was difficult at times (lack of alone time, sleeping in REALLY bad hotels, way too much fast food, a little drama) we came out of it laughing and closer, she's a great girl with so much talent. Right now I have no set plans of when I'll be touring again, I've considered college booking agencies, but ideally I'd like to hop on someone's tour as an opening act.
When you write a song, what is your process like? Do you keep journals for random inspirations, or do you just sit down and unleash a stream of conscious?
It's funny, I've never ever wrote a song on paper, I'm always singing to my laptop, I pop it open hit record and begin strumming. I start with my simple chord progressions and songs just kind of spill out of nowhere. I don't write with this driving idea or goal behind the songs, they just flow randomly and come together in their own little ways.
Where does a lot of your inspiration come from for your lyrics?
Out of the blue really, I rarely write directly from my life experiences. My life outside of music is pretty ordinary. I spend a lot of time working between 2 jobs AND performing AND working on music. So if I were to write about my life it would be kind of boring, it would be songs about working all the time and who wants to hear that!? Music is my break from the rest of my life. I write songs about what I would like to have in life, or long and hope for. My most honest songs have hints of social commentary in them, that's definitely me. When it comes down to it, I just love writing and singing, not every song actually has to do with me though.
What is the most challenging part about being a musician?
The goals in music are so fuzzy now. It's really an interesting pursuit. I've learned to just go with the flow and be thankful for the journey I'm on, the good stuff, the bad. It's challenging not knowing what the ultimate goal with music is anymore, the industry is so wack right now that getting signed doesn't mean what it used to. It's challenging financially too, cause like I said, I work two jobs and perform a few nights a week when I'm not on longer tours and it gets hard, it's frustrating but hopefully all of my hard work will pay off someday. If not, again, I'm thankful to have spent a unique few years pursuing a dream and doing what I love. I think I need to keep in mind that I'm young, keep my faith in what I'm doing and just keep on keepin' on and hope for more good times are ahead.
Do you hope to achieve a mainstream status, or would you rather stay being an independent artist?
I don't hope for that, not really. If anything I hope to be able to tour more, and share music in a real setting face to face with people who are out supporting live music. One day if a label approaches me and would like to have me on board of course I'd be a part of that and would be SO SO SO THANKFUL to have people on my side helping me move further toward being able to share these songs and make this my life full time. I don't know what the future holds, but I try my best to keep good things in mind, we'll see what happens.
Which musicians do you look up to and why?
I look up to Tristan Prettyman, it's been a pleasure to watch her career unfold. It's continually inspirational to observe her popularity grow and see her remain down to earth and so kind. I look up to her as a songwriter very much, she's written many of my favorite songs.
Jack Johnson inspires me a lot too, I look up to him and all of his success. He's released several huge albums, has his own record company and just seems like a really good guy. I love how simple his style is too.
Nate Ruess is one of my favorite lyricists, he used to front the band The Format. I look up to his quirky style. Speaking of The Format, I'm still sad that they broke up!
What has it been like recording so far? When can we expect the new album?
I Just got home from recording the first half of my new album, 'Home Sweet Home'. I recorded 7 tracks in Encinitas CA with Lee Coulter producing them ; Home Sweet Home, Cheshire Cat, Pick Up The Phone, Slide, Life Is Waiting, Nobody's Fool and Wish You Were. I'll be heading back to Encinitas to finish the record the first week in March, 7 more songs to go. It's a big album with 14 songs, I feel so good about all of them and I'm very anxious to share a whole new record with everyone.
Recording is a fun process, it's great to take my basic acoustic tracks to a producer and let them decorate them with production and breathe more life into them musically. This record is going to be Folky, with influences from Pop, little cues from Country and even a little Soul flavor for good measure. The new record will be finished next month and released in May or June of 2009.
What do you think sets you apart from other musicians?
This is a difficult one to answer. I'm not sure of what my appeal is, or what people enjoy about my style. I'd like to think that I come across as a genuine person, I do my absolute best to keep in touch with my fans (who are really more like friends!) thanks to myspace. I'd like to think there is something unique about my style and my voice that sets me apart? Sorry this one's kinda hard!
When will Tina and Trell be making another appearance on the interwebs?
Haha, oh my. You know, I debate deleting those cooky videos all the time. I often wonder how confused people get when say they stumble across me on myspace, enjoy the music and then decide to dig deeper and stumble across my borage of ridiculous youtube offerings! Tina and Trell is a hot mess for sure, who knows maybe another will pop up soon. It's insanity but whatever, we have fun being completely immature, childish and weird while making those.
Currently, what are your top five favorite songs?
Some favorites at the moment:
'God Gave Me Patience'...Tristan Prettyman'
Kid'...Amos Lee
'Sensible Heart'...City and Colour
'Use Somebody'...Kings Of Leon
'Back To Me'...Natalie Eickmeyer
And a couple of random questions..
What do you think of Michael Phelps and his weed smoking?
Honestly, WHO CARES!? Props to him for kicking ass in the olympics, if he wants to unwind with some chronic and giggle with his friends and eat a bunch of junk food, freakin' let him. I personally feel that alcohol is more dangerous than weed, it's just the legal factor of course. I feel bad that he has to deal with the issue of EVERYONE knowing he hit a bong. Poor dude, but hopefully he was high when he stumbled across the article! How weird would that be?
Do you have a good luck charm? If so, what is it?
Nah, I really don't. I just try to keep positive thoughts in mind, hopeful thoughts, thankful thoughts.
Besides making music, what do you like to do?
I used to paint, if I had more time I'd get back into it, maybe I'll work on making the time. I like chilling with my friends, watching movies with em' or going out to dinner is always nice. I practice yoga 4 or more days a week. I try to get outside and go on a nice hike either here in Flagstaff or cruise down to Sedona about once a week, it's so beautiful here, I feel compelled to take advantage of it! Honestly though, a lot of my time is consumed by music, which isn't a bad way to spend my time.
Check out Brian's music at www.myspace.com/brianbenham
-Courtney Kaz.

No comments: