Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Listen to this: The Chain Gang of 1974 + interview

These days it seems hard to find a band that is serious about their music but also have a fun feel to it. Most songs these days seem to be focused on sending a message out to the kids, helping them out. The Chain Gang of 1974 seems to make it clear that while the music has a fun sound, they're serious about what they do and write for themselves. Another resident of the Denver area in Colorado, Kamtin Mohager will be touring with The Secret Handshake and part of 3OH!3's backing band on AP tour. Be sure to check out this up and coming powerhouse.

You certainly have a unique style of design [myspace page, music videos, merch] where do you get most of your inspiration from?
- I've never been one to be extremely inspired by American band's. I've also never been one to really be inspired by mainstream band's, as well. Most of my influences (with a few exceptions, of course) are from the UK and Europe. So I tend to go off what they're doing, but it always turns out to become my own thing in the end.

You recently went on tour with 3OH!3 and that was really the first time you had played in those states and to that crowd. Did it give you the sort of exposure you wanted?
- Definitely. I accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish and more with that tour. It allowed my music to reach a large amount of new people. It's not like everyone was freaking out and loved my music. Personally, I feel the song's I write are a little harder to digest than most band's out there today, especially with a lot of the kids who attended the tour. So I'm still working hard and pushing, but have now made it one step higher.

Your full length is dropping this spring, what can we expect from that?
- Expect a very weird, unique album. I don't want anyone to look at "Mad Paranoid" as just a "Dance" record. Having been able to spend a lot of time listening to it now that it's complete, I've discovered how out there the record actually is, and I'm so proud of that. I NEVER want to create music that sounds like it was created out of a cookie cutter. But there are 12 full tracks on the album. Definitely excited for people to hear it.

A lot of bands set out to inspire and help their fans with their music. What do hope to do for your fans as a musician?
- Here's my attitude towards all that stuff. It means the world to me that somebody will take the time out of their day and listen to the music I have created. The true thought of that is mind-blowing to me. But I have never been one to create music for someone else. I am making this music for myself only. So with that said, it's even more taking back when someone comes to me and tells me a life story involving my music. I just hope my tunes can allow them to go outside the box with any type of art they're trying to pursue.

Outside of making music, what are a few projects you would like to get involved with?
- At this point, there's nothing I can do unless it involves making music. But we will see if that changes in the near future.

What has been your favorite show you played to date?
- The Masquerade in Atlanta, GA.

What can we expect next from The Chain Gang?
- Don't expect anything. That's the key thing to remember about The Chain Gang Of 1974. It's NEVER going to be the same thing. It will continue to evolve into something else. So don't expect anything. Just go with it.

TEN RANDOMS:
Where were you three hours ago?
- In my bed.

What movies have you watched in the past 5 days?
- Gran Torrino, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Real Genius.

What is the most ridiculous outfit you have worn?
- In 3rd grade I wore a matching Chicago Bulls outfit, but ended up pissing my pants at school. So I went to the lost and found, and they hooked me up with some JNCO's, which my parents never allowed me to wear. So I definitely felt like a rebel.

When was the last time you ran?
- Probably a year ago.

What is the weirdest thing you have done at 4 am?
- Smoked Hooka in the middle of nowhere Utah, on my way to California, while listening to "A Storm In Heaven" by The Verve. It was trippy.

What do you want to know about the future?
- Whether or not true love really does exist.

What is your heritage?
- My parents were born in Iran. They moved to American right before the Islamic Revolution, which allowed me to be born in Northern California. But I am Persian.

What is your favorite tongue twister?
- I hate tongue twisters.

What is your favorite type of sock?
- Long, black, dress socks.

Do you believe in the Loch ness monster why or why not??
- Only if I'm on LSD.

Check out the Chain Gang of 1974 at www.myspace.com/thechaingangof1974

-Tabitha Jones

1 comment:

Sara M. said...

Courtney, just got your comment over on WR2BAM. I'd be delighted to swap links! I'm updating my list right now.