I've put off writing this for a few days. For some reason. I think I can chalk it up to my usual procrastination when it comes to blogging, but one day, the fire will come back!
On the 14th, Tuesday, I made the four and a half hour trip down to Grand Rapids, Michigan with my best friend and mom for the Margot and the Nuclear So & So's show with Cloud Cult, and Ice Palace. UNFORTUNATELY, I don't have any pictures from the event. My camera is mostly unreliable and wouldn't handle live shots very well. So here's the blow-by-blow.
Ice Palace was the first band of the night. If you're a reader, you already know that I really just started getting into this band, but they're very easy to like. What I enjoyed the most about the band was that even though some of their songs were mostly downbeat and laid back songs, there was still the opportune 'rock out' time, where it got very dancey and fun to move to. Complete with a guest appearance from Hubert from Margot and the Nuclear So & So's, Ice Palace had a solid set.
One reason I wish I had a camera for this band was because of the excellent style of their keyboardist/vocalist/trumpeter Amy Hager. Ripped fishnet stockings, colorful sneakers, a burgundy skirt, tank top, and an awesome printed gold scarf. Kind of grungy, but effortlessly cool looking.
Cloud Cult is a band that I have already seen before, so I wasn't too sure if I should've gotten too excited about it. Though as their set went on, I felt bad for thinking that it would be anything less than amazing. Since this band is just as pleasing to the eye as they are to the ears, they practically move mountains when they play. Watching their on-stage artist is just as captivating as the rest of the band. The music was beautiful as always, and I truly can't get over the symphonics they mix in with the rest of the band. I'm glad that my eyes weren't the only not-dry ones in the house, but the quirkiness of the vocalist's sleep mask and the fact that hardly anyone in the band was wearing shoes was enough to make me smile. A+ once again for Cloud Cult.
Margot and the Nuclear So & So's has been my favorite band for a long time now. They've inspired many of my personal writing pieces, so the fact that I was able to finally catch them in Michigan at an All-Ages show had me so stoked. Despite the fact that Richard Edwards seemed to be pretty fact, and that his guitar string broke half way through, it was an amazing set. Personally, I was happy that they played almost all of my favorite songs by them. The occasional dance moves from some of the members was appreciated and amusing. They originally closed with 'As Tall As Cliffs' and my hands stung so bad from the 'clap-clap-clapclapclap' that goes throughout it, but it was perfect in so many ways. It was the last date from that leg of their tours, and every member from every band came out on stage to clap and dance along. Then, they played a much appreciated encore of 'Barfight Revolution.'
What a perfect way to spend my last day of 17. My friend also assured me that it was a great First Concert experience for her. I definitely hope to catch all three of these bands again someday.
-Courtney Kaz.
1 comment:
The best first concert everrrrr!
Every band and song were beautiful. I second everything Court Kaz has written on this review.
-Concert attending best friend. =]
Post a Comment