
So, on August 5, I went down south to DeKalb, IL to the House Cafe to see Empires and Kevin Devine. Northern Illinois University is also in this part of Illinois, so if you go there, you should most definitely check out the House Cafe, they have great food and even better shows.
About a year ago, I was pointed in the direction of the Chicago-based band Empires. At the time, they had Howl up for a free download and hey, who doesn’t want free stuff these days? So, I downloaded it and immediately, I was hooked. This was my first (but most definitely not my last) time seeing Empires. Unfortunately, I had only caught the last four or so songs they played that night. However, I will give mad props to Sean Van Vleet for having some amazing stage presence. It was so energetic and got everyone in a great mood. When I walked in, they were finishing up “Valmont” but played other songs off of Howl, like “I Want Blood,” “Warning Mark” and “Midnight Land.”
After Empires played and tore down their set, Kevin Devine was next. I had only heard a few of his songs but had fallen completely in love with his voice. Seeing the Brooklyn-based artist play in person was a completely different story. He was so spirited with the way he played, I had a few tears in my eyes. And the venue was small, so it was a really intimate experience. He played “Cotton Crush” and “Fingerprints and Photographs” and I couldn’t tell you the rest of the set if I even tried. However, he did make a lot of conversation throughout his set. Everyone started talking about cave diving and whether stalactites or stalagmites were the icicle-looking things that hang off the roof of a cave. Another audience member encouraged Kevin to cover Brand New and he said that he might, and if he did, he would acknowledge the guy who requested it. Unfortunately, he didn’t play a Brand New cover, however, the way he plays is almost equal to seeing Brand New live. The way he is so in to his songs and heartfelt about each and everyone of them. It was honestly one of the most beautiful experiences I’d ever had the experience of seeing.
All in all, it was a great night, they were all amazing people to talk to. It was everything you would hope that a local show would produce. The guys were all so nice and I would HIGHLY recommend seeing either of the bands if you ever get the chance to.

Empires myspace.
Kevin Devine's myspace.
No comments:
Post a Comment