Clearly, I am a lover of music, but for the longest time I could not find a band that really reached out to me. I actually would find myself jealous of people who could, with a snap of my fingers, tell me the name of the album that they related to the most, and which parts of it correlated with their own lives. I never had that life defining album (except maybe in seventh grade when I thought Simple Plan's "No Pads, No Helmets, Just Balls" was musical brilliance...). There is little romance in my life to relate to heart ache and blessed love affairs. I don't hate my dad, so I can't relate to THOSE types. My life is anything but jaded, and I don't have many jealousy issues. It wasn't until the beginning of September that I was introduced to LIGHTNING LOVE and their album 'November Birthday.'
Never before had I heard a band that perfectly embodies who I am as a person. Fun, slightly cynical on love, sarcastic, and basically has the same outlook on things that I do. Such as their song 'Everyone I Know' in which the words "Everybody knows, I've got a job but I never wanna go, rather stay at home, lay in bed, watch TV, and drink alone. And you're just the same, you think being grown up's some kind of game, and I've gotta say, all your interests and goals are pretty lame." are sung. Each song on this 11-track album is loaded with snarky and sarcastic lyrics, and I think just about everything is covered. From being the girl who is always rejected for someone 'who's so damn ugly,' the inability for either sex to be correct in most situations, pissing and puking in elevators after a night of too much fun, and of course, just having a good time. There is also the great combination of female/male vocals, along with poppy and electronic beats that make each song fun to bop your head to.
This 3-piece from Michigan has definitely written the soundtrack for my current life, and I love them for it. 'November Birthday' is up there on my favorites list, and it should be up there on yours. Take this recommendation to heart, especially if you're a sarcastic chick who's down on love and likes to party.
No comments:
Post a Comment