I already know I’m going to get tons and tons of shit for this. I’m normally one of those “anti-commercial” people who hates mainstream media and can’t bear the thought of listening to such an album. However, Mayer has honestly put one of the greatest “chill out” albums of our time. I will go as far as saying “Who Says” is our generation’s “I Want You” by Third Eye Blind (does anyone remember that song? SO GOOD.).
4. Thursday – Common Existence
Again, another example of a band that has been around for a long time and has been able to keep up with the times and not fall short of themselves. This album reminds me of Full Collapse and War All the Time which are two of my favorite albums. If you like old Thursday material, you’ll like Common Existence.
3. Endless Hallway – Autonomy Games
For approximately three and a half years, I’ve been waiting for Endless Hallway to come out with an album. This band has been one of my favorites all through high school and never fails to bring back some of the greatest memories. A full-length from this band was so long awaited that when I found out they’d come out with it, I had to have it immediately. This albums is one of those albums that sits in your car all the time, due to the fact that it’s such a great-sounding album and so nice to drive to.
2. The Color of Violence – Youthanize
This album sums up everything you think about society in a nutshell and it’s pretty amazing how quickly they do it. I don’t think any band aside from Daughters or Outbreak has come as close to “For the morally well-endowed. Let the "Body of Christ" bless our bank accounts!!” The lyrics on this album just blow my mind and after seeing them live, I still can’t find everything. Their cover of “Rock Music” by the Pixies is spot on and I will never be able to get over how great it is.
1. Portugal. The Man – The Satanic Satanist
Number one album of the year. This album invokes every calm cell in your body and it just puts you in so much of a better place. I can’t think of anything else in the past decade besides Sigur Ros’ material that puts you in such a calm place. Everything about this album says “put on a pair of headphones and go sit down in your recliner because you’re going to chill out for the entire duration of this album.” I really haven’t been able to stop listening to it.
Honorable Mentions for 2009:
The Color Morale – We All Have Demons (Congratulations boys, you’ve put out a full-length that so many people enjoy, couldn’t be more proud of you.)
Animals as Leaders – Self-Titled
The Appleseed Cast – Sagarmatha
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Metric - Fantasies
Russian Circles – Geneva
Thrice - Beggars
1 comment:
fantasies by metric is an amazing album.
Post a Comment