Sunday, November 4, 2007

license to wed.



I'll admit, Mandy Moore is on my list of favorite actresses. She won my heart (and I'm sure many others) in A Walk To Remember, Because I Said So was great, and was hilarious in Saved!. The list of her great roles are endless, which was why I wasn't expecting anything less when I picked up License To Wed which she stars in with funny men Robin Williams and John Krasinski.

Was I disappointed? Definitely not. Though was I overjoyed with the overall film? Not necessarily.

The basic plot of the movie is basic: Sadie Jones (Moore) and Ben Murphy (Krasinski) are engaged. Wanting to get married in her hometown, Sadie pays a visit to Reverend Frank, an old family friend. The wedding is scheduled for three weeks later, and Sadie signs the couple up in a crash course for marriage preparation.

The movie did start out funny, almost the point where I was in hysterics. Krasinski provides an unlimited amount of awkward moments, William's makes a few less-than-holy remarks, and the robot babies the couple is forced to carry around are ridiculous.

But then, the drama starts to unfold, and the movie starts to slow down. At that point, I could hardly hold my interest any longer and got up to go find my book. Plus in my cell phone to give it a charge, etc. When I tuned in again to see how it all turned out, there were no more laughs.

I'd still recommend it though...I guess. Maybe a three or four out of five. The thing that really saves it is the first hour with the jokes.

And for the record, Mandy Moore was still great in it regardless.

No comments: