Lately I've been searching around on the internet a lot for new music to listen to. Of course, a lot of my finds have led me to tiny bands with only hundreds of myspace friends, though those are usually the ones who have the best songs to get down to. Here are some bands I've found lately, that everyone should be interested to and raise awareness of them.
The Features
This band on their myspace is described as 'Rock/Psychadelic/New Wave.' Totally accurate. They have these totally danceable songs that even your parents (assuming they grew up in the 70's) could love as well. 'Late Night' is one of my favorites, and should probably be played in an iPod commercial. Then their song 'The Gates of Hell' kind of tone it down a bit for a more ambient and melancholy sound. 'Commotion' then picks it back up with a more upbeat 80's like tune that almost reminds me of Bloc Party. myspace.com/thefeatures
The Teeth
This Philly band has become another one of my favorites. I think it was their song 'Ball of the Dead Rat.' Remember the scene in Pretty in Pink when Duckie does the dance and singalong? If this band was around in the 80's with this song, he would totally be dancing to this one instead. This is another band with an 80's type sound. They've definitely got it all: catchy lyrics, danceable beats, and sharing stages with a few favorable acts (The Honorary Title.) Definitely worth the attention, guys. myspace.com/teeth
Tequila Mockingbird
For fans of websites like Friends or Enemies, and companies like Clandestine Industries, you may be familiar with Nicholas Scimeca. For those of you who haven't been living under a rock for the past year or two, you may be familiar with Travis McCoy from Gym Class Heroes. The two have come together to create Tequila Mockingbird. With computer generated beats that'll make your booty drop (ohhh!), 'Snowglobe' has been taking over the Myspace world, and is currently playing on my own page. Then 'Brooklyn Basement' has a softer and possibly even sexier sound In a recent interview with Christopher Gutierrez, Nicholas hasn't given any hints about touring, BUT I think that with the star status Travis already has and the connection that Nicholas has, they'll be able to go far. Plus, they've already racked up over 80,000 profile views with only two songs. myspace.com/yeahbutididntkissher
The Home Guard
I'll admit, when my friend first told me to listen to this band, I really wasn't a fan. Though it seems like this band is one of those ones where you have to listen a few times for them to grow on you, and now I'm a fan. 'Champagne Socialist' features a killer bassline at the beginning and near the middle. 'The Orator' is also another favorite of mine. Kind of dramatic and epic sounding. In other words: badass. I know half of the world likes Queen, The Arctic Monkeys, and the Kaiser Chiefs, so you should like The Home Guard. These dudes are also incredibly nice, and it's a wonder how they only have 139 friends on myspace. Add these boys and spread the love. myspace.com/thehomeguardinfo
The Snake The Cross The Crown
I've given you guys all these killer dance-type bands, so here's the 'cool down' band. As dumb as it sounds, I would listen to this band while driving and totally contemplate my life. Maybe. They're folky sounding, with some piano's mixed in, a bit of rock. 'Behold the River' is absolutely wonderful. A good sing-a-long, really. They sound kind of familiar, but at this moment, I can't put my finger on who they really remind me of. 'Cakewalk' moves a little bit slower, but it's beautiful, and picks up more in the middle. I know a lot of you probably hate hearing this, but it's another group you can share with your parents. myspace.com/snakecrosscrown
I expect all of you to check these bands out. If there is a band that you listen to and think that the world should know about, write about them and send me your review. I'll post it on here for everyone to read with your name and a myspace link or whatever else you want attached to it.
Happy listening.
3 comments:
THE SNAKE THE CROSS THE CROWN
Idk if it was me that told you about them or if you just happened upon them coincidentally but meeeeean bro, mean.
Courtneyfantastic:
I'm glad that you have changed your mind about The Home Guard. I guess that means we can be friends again, after all.
I'm steps away from writing something for your blog.
You need to check out Ghostland Observatory. I heard about them from a teacher. Very awesome.
Post a Comment