I'm all about supporting people in my town who are out there doing things they love, and I'm all about supporting them even more when it's something creative. Growing up in a small town in Northern Michigan, it's hard to find things to do, and I think that this helps breed more creative energy amongst the younger generations. So it's hard to miss Nick Hartman, a 23 year old filmmaker in Alpena, Michigan whose short films are heavily influenced by old school horror. Follow the link to one of his videos at the end of this post and check out his website as well.
How did you get into making films?
As a child my dad and I would sit around every weekend and just watch a ton of horror films. As I grew older I began watching all different types of films and one day I realized I wasn't watching them just for enjoyment anymore, I caught myself studying the acting, the dialogue, the lighting, and everything else that puts together a good film. At that moment I realized I want to make films.
The videos of yours that I've seen kind of have the same darker tone as a lot of old school horror flicks? Would you say you pull a lot of inspiration from those, and what draws you to them?
Like I said, I was brought up watching horror films so that has a huge inspiration in my work. To me there's just something about the horror films that really grab a hold of your emotions and feelings. I remember the first time I saw Clive Barkers "Hellraiser" I was so mesmerized by it. It was one of thee strangest and goriest films I have ever seen and will probably ever see. This is what I want to do to my audience, I want my work to affect them.
What else inspires you?
The things that really inspire me are things that hit me out of know where. I can just be driving along in my car on a rainy day listening to music and studying the formation of clouds and trees and how the weather is making me feel that day. Its not a very easy thing to explain, but the easiest way to describe it would be a lot of my inspiration comes from how I'm feeling. Other things that also inspire me are just watching a film by one of my favorite directors or just being around loved ones.
What are your goals when it comes to making films?
To reach inside people and bring out their emotions. Either it be anger, happiness, sadness, or just make them puke. As long as I’m reaching out to them.
Do you feel that growing up in a small town has hindered you at all?
Definitely, When you live in a small town your surrounded with boredom so you have a lot of time to think and get inspired to do something with your life. Coming from a small town makes you go for any opportunity and when you come from a big city you have a lot more opportunities and people don’t realize that so they never take the opportunities that are right in front of them.
What's the hardest part of making a film come together the way you'd like it to?
I would say directing the actors exactly the way you want them to portray a certain character. I’m one of those people who has a hard time being mean and straight forward about things. I don't ever like to hurt peoples feelings and make them feel like there not doing a good job. So when I’m directing someone I feel bad telling them it wasn't good enough and they have to do it over. Eventually I know that its my job and I have to get my point across, but its just getting to the point where I have to bring out my strict side.
What kind of equipment are you using?
As of now I am working with a Panasonic ag-dvc20. I pretty much had to spend my life savings on it and to be honest I didn't have much of a life savings. I don't have much equipment, it really sucks but I just cant afford that kind of stuff and I don't get anything just handed to me. Which I guess is good in the long run because it just pushes me more to do my best.
Are you working on any projects right now and could you give some details?
As of now I'm working on a short psychological horror film titled "own little world." I'm working with 2 talented actors on this one. Fred Loewe and Kara Thomas, Just by watching what I got so far I can see that their really bringing my work to life. I don't want to give away to much right now, but just know Kara is soaked in blood and is getting buried alive. I think you'll enjoy it.
Where can people check out your stuff?
I actually just created my own web page so people can see some of my work. I talk about upcoming projects and I also got a photo gallery of my upcoming films.
www.nickhartmancinema.webs.com check it out.
Anything else?
I know it’s a cliché thing to say but honestly “Follow your dreams.” I know I would never want to be working a 9 to 5 job sitting in a cubicle doing computer work when I know I could be creating. Don’t be scared to take the next step.
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=32362464
-Courtney Kaz
PS: Sorry for the huge lackage of posting. I've been busy/sick, Sara's just been busy. But we are making a comeback, don't you worry.
No comments:
Post a Comment